Two-track process for parkway condo.
New plans from the Morley-Hoppner Group propose a seven-storey, 95-unit mid-rise building at 2 The Parkway with larger setbacks.
Beaverbrook residents say they are pressed for time to digest the latest proposal to build a controversial mid-rise at 2 The Parkway.
The Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association gathered its members on Monday, Dec. 3, to discuss the latest design to build a seven-storey, 95-unit mid-rise, which had been submitted to city planner Marc Magierowicz the same day.
“My concern is we haven’t seen the final proposal,” said Gary Sealey, president of the Kanata Beaverbrook Community Association. “The material is incomplete … I haven’t seen the facts.”
It’s been more than a year since the Morley Hoppner Group submitted its first application to rezone the property at 2 The Parkway, calling for construction of a 16-storey condominium.
Since then, the developer has submitted several revised plans, with heights of the condo ranging from 16 to nine storeys.
The city’s planning committee was set to vote on a plan to build a 10-storey condo on Nov. 27 when the developer came forward with a new proposal for a seven-storey, 95-unit mid-rise with larger setbacks.
The committee voted to defer a decision until after a full report could be completed for the new plans.
Meanwhile, the developer has also filed an appeal with the Ontario Municipal Board, saying the city has taken too long to handle the rezoning application.
Under the Planning Act, municipalities have 180 days to make a decision on official plan and subdivision plan amendments and 120 days for zoning amendments.
“We’re in limbo,” said Omar Allam, a Beaverbrook resident.
The development is on a two-track process: one track is the seven-storey proposal, which is set to go before the planning committee and city council in the new year. The second track is the OMB appeal for the 10-storey building.
“There is somewhat of a two-track process, but they meet in the middle,” said Magierowicz.
If the planning committee and council recommends what the developer likes, the group could withdraw its OMB appeal. Magierowicz said the developer gave a verbal commitment to withdraw if the new seven-storey building is approved.
As well, the OMB has agreed not to set an appeal date until after the committee and council give a decision, said Magierowicz.
Magierowicz said the city has a “legal obligation” to consider the new plans and compile a full review on the revision.
Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson agreed with the planning committee to defer its decision. They could have approved the 10-storey building had the meeting gone ahead as planned, she said.
Kanata South Coun. Allan Hubley, who sits on the planning committee, also attended the Dec. 3 meeting to offer his advice.
“They can’t be predicted ahead of time … it was a risk,” he said about how the committee votes.
Hubley added since the area is set to become a part of the Transitway system, residents should expect intensification.
“It means bigger buildings,” he said.
- With files from Laura Mueller and Blair Edwards